Yesterday was National S’mores Day. I remember how much fun it was as a kid to roast the marshmallows, and then try to wait for the chocolate to start to melt before taking the first bite (I never could though! Those gooey, rich, sweet, crunchy summertime treats are still a family favorite. but they are not something we should be eating every day. All that sugar is clearly an occasional treat only!
Since being diagnosed with celiac disease & lactose intolerance, I have found gluten-free and dairy-free ingredients to make s’mores, but they are still not something I am going to eat often.
So I was excited when I found a healthy version that I could incorporate into my family’s menu more often. But that recipe contained dairy, a no-go in our home. I decided to play with the recipe and see if I could re-create it with vegan ingredients.
I didn’t have any gluten-free graham crackers in the house, although you could certainly use them in this recipe. But I did have a box of LiveGfree snickerdoodle cookies. So those became the crumb base for the recipe. To replace the ricotta cheese the original version called for, I went with firm tofu. Tofu is super-versatile, and I have used it successfully to make vegan lasagna.
This recipe uses Vegan Chocolate & Vegan Vanilla Shakeology. Shakeology is a superfood meal-replacement shake that I drink daily for it’s incredibly dense nutrient content (and because it tastes like dessert!). You can find out more about Shakeology here on my website, or head to the “shop” tab to order some! You can certainly try out this recipe with another shake brand, but I am unsure how the consistency will be. You may deed to adjust the amount of almond milk or coconut oil.
The result of this experiment is a delicious treat that truly does remind me of s’mores. It is gooey, chocolatey, and the top chocolate layer provides a nice crunch once chilled. This is not a low-fat recipe, but it if full of whole-food ingredients and tons of nutrition, so it makes a great, filling snack on-the-go. Enjoy!
Vegan Superfood S’mores
- 4 gluten free snickerdoodle cookies (or 2 graham cracker sheets)
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup firm tofu
- 4 scoops Vegan Chocolate Shakeology, divided
- 1 scoop Vegan Vanilla Shakeology
- 1 Tbsp organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Place cookies or graham crackers in food processor & process until you have fine crumbs
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper Evenly sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs over the bottom of the pan
- Combine banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, 2 scoops Vegan Chocolate Shakeology and another 1/3 of the crumbs in a large bowl. Mix well to thoroughly combine.
- press chocolate mixture into pan and press to flatten. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place tofu, Vegan Vanilla Shakeology, almond milk, powdered sugar & vanilla in food processor, and process until smooth
- Pour vanilla mixture over chocolate mixture in pan
- Combine remaining 2 scoops Vegan Chocolate Shakeology with melted coconut oil & stir until smooth.our mixture over vanilla layer. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Cut into 12 bars